Property Advertisement - AMO Residence for sale!

Property Advertisement - AMO Residence for sale!
Click on the banner for more details.

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 1, 2017

Will smoking ban at Orchard Road improve visitor experience?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/orchard-road-to-go-smoke-free-by-2018-no-new-smoking-areas-at-f-8991026

Well, I don't know about you guys but I usually stay indoor in the mall to enjoy the air-con unless I've to walk to another mall on the street.  Therefore, there's not much improvement in the visitor experience to speak of as I don't stay long on the street.  Singapore is so hot and humid and there's no reason to stay long on the street unless I want to "roast" myself in the day.  The nightlife is also not fun at Orchard Road unless you are looking for a happy ending at Lucky Plaza or Orchard Tower.

I must say Orchard Road has lost its allure as a shopping paradise and I've not shopped at Orchard Road for a long time already.  I don't go to Orchard Road unless on a need-to basis which is usually reserved for a business appointment.

The shopping experience is not great anymore at Orchard Road because its product mix is not attractive or interesting.  I rather stay at home to browse and shop online at my own comfort time.  My shopping habit has changed and I've shopped more online nowadays.  The Orchard Business Association is looking at the wrong cause of the problem.  I know that mall retail vacancy is increasing and the Orchard Business Association is very worried but prescribing the wrong medicine for the ailment won't improve the condition at all.

The Orchard Business Association has to bear in the mind that China and Japanese tourists are smokers and they will also reduce their shopping visits to Orchard Road due to the smoking ban.

This smoking ban will definitely impact Orchard retail revenues and more retailers will move out as they cannot sustain their retail businesses due to the high rentals.  Last but not least, I'm not a smoker and I exercise regularly.  Thus, this is not a prejudiced opinion of the smoking ban for Orchard Road.

PS: If NEA is really worried about our health, it will be better to reduce carbon dioxide and PM2.5 in the air as these cause more harm to our bodies than cigarettes.

No comments: